Thursday 27 June 2013

Graveyard


This graveyard is right next to our hotel. It's a beautiful and unusual spot, because there are trees growing right out of the graves. I assume that they sometimes plant a tree to commemorate the deceased, people sometimes do that in Canada too but in Iceland they do it right there on top of them.
I took a bunch of pictures but it was just frustrating, it didn't seem possible to capture the environment well within the frame of a photograph. At least not for me. I need John Tran, and  3 or 4 of his cameras.
There were informative signs posted at the cemetery but they didn't even mention the trees, which made me think it must be standard practice. Later on I asked the taxi driver if it was the common custom, he said "I think maybe so." Which didn't exactly confirm my theory. Maybe he doesn't happen to know any dead people.

No comments:

Post a Comment