Tuesday 18 June 2013

Packing for the Arctic

This summer I'll be heading up to the Northwest Passage to show the world what it now looks like. As if I actually have a clue. Tonight, I'm stuffing things into a bag that though large, is clearly still too small for all the multiple layers of clothing I have acquired. Apparently I can expect weather ranging from toasty to nasty and need to dress for all of it at once. Luckily, I don't expect to have to wear a suit jacket at any point. I've also equipped myself with boot chains, a waterproof pouch for a tablet, high-tech underwear that costs more than a fancy dinner for two, and a first aid kit for which I have in fact received mandatory training. Now if a baby chokes while we are in the wilderness, I'll be totally prepared.
Apparently the early European explorers who first tried to get through the Northwest Passage brought along things like cast iron stoves and copies of The Vicar of Wakefield. They wound up freezing to death in the dark, while the natives managed just fine with less stuff than would fill a modern garbage bag. I have an ominous feeling that I am repeating someone's mistake here. And perhaps paying extra baggage charges too.

No comments:

Post a Comment