Saturday 29 June 2013

Helicam

We hired an Icelandic helicam operator to help film the departure of the Dax. First time for me with one of these things. It's a large radio controlled helicopter, like you might buy a particularly immature husband for his birthday. Mine is coming up in October, by the way. Attached to that is a gyroscopically stabilized camera mount. One guy flies the helicopter, the other remotely operates the camera.
Unfortunately the radio feed to the monitor wasn't working, the image looked like the last garbled transmission from the mysterious space vessel, before Captain Kirk beams onto it with an expendable guy in a red shirt. So they had to give up after a while. But I did get a bit of an education first.
There are others that have four or six horizontal rotors, I suspect they are more stable, this one I think is most appropriate for a particular kind of shot, which of course was exactly not the kind of shot I asked for first. I was asking them to fly along the water, then pan up to reveal a nicely composed shot of the Harpa concert hall with the Dax in front. Well, it's hard with this thing to nicely compose a shot and stay on it. It would be great for flying under a bridge or through a canyon, where the subject is the whole environment. For a particular subject you want to frame carefully, well, I can't say for sure how well we could have done if we could have seen the image clearly, but I think that it's a bit like asking a hockey player to figure skate.
Next time I fly a remotely controlled helicopter around a harbour in Iceland, though, I will be totally ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment