Monday 1 July 2013

Arctic Suburban

Now that all our plans have been changed, and we're no longer heading out of town on a helicopter, we need a vehicle. I was given a couple of numbers of people who had cars for rent; the first was the mayor, the second was the guy who manages the airport. Nobody here has only one job, I guess. We got one at the airport, the guy asked if I knew how to use a clutch. "It's been a while," I said, trying to bring back to my mind a distant memory from the late seventies of what you do with a clutch. The vehicle is a monstrous Suburban from a time when being suburban really meant something. It farts out smoke when you start it, it's missing the grille and has a block heater cable hanging loose in front, it has bench seats a mile wide and you could stuff a moose into the back if you needed to. No air conditioning though. Best rental car ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment