Monday 15 July 2013

The Gizmonator

This is our engineer Scott Burton brandishing a strange device. As he so often does, since his job is to operate gizmos of all description.
This one is a mount that holds an array of Gopro cameras pointing in all directions, so that the images they record can be stitched together later to form a complete sphere of video. That's mostly for the web, where people will be able to choose their point of view as they watch. Since what I am primarily working on is what is rather patronizingly known as "flat video," I'm not so inclined to let people choose their own point of view. People's point of view should be chosen for them by qualified professionals, in my opinion. That's right, people like me.
So those of you who have inconveniently independent ideas about such things can just stay on the web, amongst others of your ilk, you will not be missed in my world. The rest of you can summarize your multifarious and complex preferences by occasionally operating your remote control. Between button pushes, we will supply you with comforting and distracting imagery, that as time goes on, will start to look more and more similar on every channel.
There is some kind of metaphor for something taking shape here, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Never mind, I can't think about that right now, Big Brother is coming on soon.

    photo by Ulla Lohmann

No comments:

Post a Comment